Frequently Asked Questions (Q&A)

  1. Are teachers Filipinos or from English-speaking countries? If they are Filipino, how is the accent?

Answer: English teachers in the Philippines are mainly Filipinos; there is a small number of American, UK, Australian, Canadian teachers, that is native English-speaker teacher in the Philippines. The Philippines is the third largest English country outside the Anglo-American, and English is the official language of the Philippines. In Philippine history, the Philippines was colonized by Spain for 300 years and the US stayed almost 100 years in the Philippines, making the Philippines fully adoptive of the Western model of education. In addition, the English teachers in the Philippines are not only subject to formal higher education, but also through the authority of the TESOL (International English qualification) exam to formal lectures. Indeed the Filipino English teachers are very competent when it comes to reading, listening, speaking (accent), and writing.

  1. What is the cost to study in the Philippines?

Answer: It is definitely less expensive compared to other countries such as United States, Canada, Australia and Europe. And unlike to this countries, most of the classes it only takes a half day and more on group classes, while English programs in the Philippines takes a whole day of classes and has more one-on-one classes which have a bigger factor on students learning development. And the biggest factor of Philippines is Filipinos itself. As Filipinos are known to be caring and patient people, studying here is easier and convenient. It is really value for money to study English in the Philippines.

  1. How are the teachers in the Philippines? Have you been there?

Answer: It may be due to the impact of domestic negative news before, the Chinese people often feel that the Filipinos are aggressive, but I can tell you the real travel experience. The Filipino teachers are very good, hardworking, and very patient with their students. If the subject is challenging, the teacher can be very patient to explain to you the lesson. The Philippines is the best place to start and strengthen your foundation and built up confidence in communicating through English. And since Filipino are social in nature and knows how to speak English, you can converse with them almost everybody.

  1. How is the English school in the Philippines?

Answer: Most of the English schools in the Philippines are being managed by Koreans, because of nearly a decade ago, there was a huge demand for Koreans to learn English, and since it’s expensive to travel and study in Europe and the United States. Some Koreans found the most suitable way to learn English – which is the Philippines. Just how some Koreans and Japanese, Chinese students can benefit from it as well. Having access to English environment any part of the day and the diversity of the student population can help the student to improve the oral ability of the student.

  1. What are the requirements in the Philippines to study English? Is there an age requirement for the student?

Answer: In general, most schools accept Level 0 students. Some schools register students as young as 3-years old but they must be accompanied by their guardians and as old as 60-year old to study English in the Philippines. While some schools accept 16-years old and above students as an independent student. All students are expected to be mature and independent that can study in a foreign country such as the Philippines.

  1. How is the security situation in the Philippines?

Answer: Just like in any other countries crime happens. But after all this is the Philippines is a foreign country, just go out and enjoy, just pay more attention and vigilant. And rest assured, the schools affiliated with YouxuePC, are situated in a safe area which is Baguio, Clark, and Cebu. These areas are the most popular tourist destination for foreign tourists like for a long time, which has a very good tourism resources, the environment is safe and reliable. The school that is on YouxuePC’s listings has 24-hour security guards and security system.

  1. Is it hard to apply for a study tour in the Philippines?

Answer: No. Just inquire at YouxuePC Agency (Wechat: youxue110114 and QQ: 3181426917 / 2098580236) to help the student to register for the school they prefer. For visa application, you can go to the Philippine consulate to apply for your own, or YouxuePC has travel agency partners in China to assist you in applying for your visa. Usually, it only takes 7 workings days before the visa will be available. And usually, schools have pick-up airport representatives that will attend on the student’s arrival in the Philippines.

  1. How is a Philippine lifestyle?

Answer: On geographical position, the Philippines is closer to China compared to other major English-speaking countries, traveling to the Philippines is more convenient and less expensive. And despite that, China has 5 time zones, the Philippines and mainland China share the same time zone.

When it comes to food, there are many different types of food available in the Philippines. You can find different cuisines such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Western and etc… available. Some international products are available also in the malls.

About electric devices. Philippines and China share the same voltage which is 220v, though plugs may differ, bringing of extension cord and adaptors are advisable. Cellphones from China can be used in the Philippines, students can use Philippine sim card also.

With the similarities of both counties, it’s conducive for students to adapt to the environment.

  1. How is the climate in the Philippines?

Answer: There is no seasons in the Philippines, only dry and rainy season. The temperature is about 27 degrees, the humidity is about 77%, June to October is the rainy season, typhoon season is November, while February is a cool dry season, and the temperature is between 28-30 degrees Celsius. Dormitories and classrooms are equipped with air-conditioned and can keep the temperature at a comfortable temperature. However, it is recommended that the students will prepare some pants and jackets to keep them warm during cold days.

  1. How about school accommodation conditions?

Answer: The school provides the meals; breakfast, lunch, and dinner (some schools have brunch during weekends or holidays). Since the majority of the students are Koreans in most of the schools, the menu is based on Korean cuisine some dishes are spicy, but nowadays, mixed nationalities in every academy are growing, so schools adjusting their menus. Accommodation depends on the school and on the choice of the student. Some rooms are shared with students and some are single solo room. Some of the services are housekeeping and laundry services. There are recreational facilities, such as swimming pool, table tennis, basketball court, gym, etc.

  1. What if I will get sick in the school?

Answer: YouxuePC recommends that all students must be healthy and students must inform honestly the agency and the school about student’s health condition or diet. School clinics are available on all schools affiliated with YouxuePC, first-aid treatments are sure will be attended, and if the student’s condition will not improve the school will send you to the nearest hospital or doctor.

  1. What will happen if there is a security problem?

Answer: While the student is under a certain program, students are in strict accordance with the provisions of the school attendance to ensure student’s safety. If a security accident occurs outside the school, please contact immediately the school staff and YouxuePC agency to inform the situation, or timely call the local alarm call. Philippine alarm call is 117. YouxuePC highly recommends that all students buy an insurance, to provide student’s best protection.

  1. What if I want to extend my course of study?

Answer: As often as it is, most student requests for extensions after the current program. It is the best advice to inform the YouxuePC agency at least 2 weeks before the current program ends. To give sufficient time for YouxuePC agency employee to attend the necessary documents to be done.

The extension can be defined as follows:

  • The student will extend the same program and on the same school.
  • The student will extend the same program but on a different school.
  • The student will extend the different program and on the same school.
  • The student will extend the different program and on the different school.

All extension usually depends on school’s room availability, while program depends on student’s level.

  1. Where is your agency located?

Answer: YouxuePC Agency is Located in Clark, Philippines

Philippines Support Service: Bldg. 5272 CM Recto Clark Freeport Zone, Pampanga, Philippines

China Headquarters: Heilongjiang Province, Daoli District, Harbin Qunli Fourth Avenue 1333 B3 Building, Unit C, 19th Floor, No. 15

  1. Does your agency charge a commission?

Answer: YouxuePC don’t charge commission from students

  1. What services does your agency provide?

Answer: YouxuePC agency provides consultation services to students who want to study the English Language in the Philippines. The agency introduces the schools to students, match the need of the student to the schools’ availability, and guide you in your study tour. Furthermore, we also give assistance for Visa processing, student flight ticket, airport pick-up, insurance, and giving best deals to students such as promotions, discounts, and scholarships.

  1. I have 0 foundations in English, Can I still be able to enroll?

Answer:Yes, Each school will provide entrance leveling examination, to determine the level of the student. With the level examination result, the school will provide the best program suited for the student’s need. And the school will focus on improving the student’s weaknesses.

  1. Which city is conducive to learning English?

Answer: Schools affiliated with YouxuePC are located in Baguio, Clark, and Cebu. Each city has its own distinct character from as cooling as Baguio, fun activities in Clark, and beach city life in Cebu. All these cities are conducive to learning English.

  1. Why are Cebu tuition fees so expensive?

Answer: Cebu is one of the most tourists visited the city in the Philippines. Cebu is the 5th largest city and one of the most progressive cities in the Philippines, resulting in higher expenditures to operating a business in Cebu. And Cebu is hotter compared to Baguio weather which resulting in higher expenses on electricity.

  1. What level of English can I attain for a 4-week course?

Answer: It depends on student’s foundation, learning capabilities and effort exerted to learn. No one can determine it, but it is guaranteed that there will be an improvement.

  1. Can the parent/s be excused in attending the class when the child is studying, or do they have to study too?

Answer: Almost all schools require the parent/s to take the program while accompanying their kid/s. Only very few schools accept students whose parent won’t take any program depend on the school situation. Junior student ages from 6 to 17 years old are allowed to attend Junior Winter/Summer Camp Program independently with a full guide of school’s employees/teachers.

  1. What are the visa requirements in order to study in the Philippines?

Answer: The students’ needs to apply for a tourist visa before coming to the Philippines. For Chinese, there are 2 types of tourist visa 30days and the 59days. Type of visa is depending on the students’ program duration.

 Visa requirements:

  1. Original Passport (At least more than 6months valid and 2 blank pages available)
  2. Front and back photocopy of valid ID (for children who don’t have yet an ID card, just provide an additional proof of document)
  3. 3 white colored background photos (size: 3.5cm*4.5cm, formal dark colored clothes and sleeveless and flesh-colored clothes are not allowed)
  4. If the student is less than 15years old, the student must be accompanied by the parent, and provide a photocopy of birth certificate.
  5. Fill up a visa application form.
  6. If you have been previously visited the Philippines, provide a front and back copy of the visa.
  7. If the travel to the Philippines is delayed, if the visa doesn’t exceed 6 months you need to pay additional 200RMB, exceeding more than 6 months, a visa is no longer valid.
  8. Photocopy the first page of the passport, while the visa is being processed you need to send your passport to the embassy, you might need the passport information while your passport is away for processing.
  1. What is SSP?

Answer: Philippine SSP (Special Study Permit) is a special permit designed for students who want to study a non-degree program in the Philippines and it can be used for 6 months from the registration date. Students are advised to use a tourist visa together with a Special Study Permit (SSP) throughout the duration of the student’s program at their designated school (school will process the SSP). Visa need extension once the duration of your study is longer. Take note, the SSP is not an official visa.

  1. Do I need to re-apply for SSP if I would like to transfer to another school?

Answer: Yes. You need to apply new SSP to the new school.

  1. What is ESL?

Answer: English Second Language

English as a Second Language also refers to specialized approaches to language teaching designed for those whose primary language is not English.

  1. What is EOP?

Answer: English Only Policy

This English-Only Language Policy addresses the necessity of requiring people/organization to use English in speaking and in taking direction in specific circumstances. The policy specifies situations in which the English-only requirement applies.

  1. I am not very proficient in English. What are the courses available and how long are these foundation courses will take before I can enroll in the IELTS course?

Answer: Each school will provide leveling examination, to determine the level of the student. With the level examination result, the school will provide the best program suited for the student’s need. And the school will focus on improving the student’s weaknesses. If the student level is low, it is recommended to study 4-8 weeks ESL Program. It is with the students’ improvement will determine when the student will be allowed to take IELTS course.

  1. Which is the best school for Business English?

Answer: There are many schools offering Business English, it may vary from tuition fee, class settings, dormitory, and location. The following schools offer business English; Philinter, CIP, HELP, MONOL, SMEAG, CPILS, EV, BECI & more.

  1. Does the IELTS guarantee course take 8 weeks?

Answer: At the present, only PINES in Baguio offer 8 weeks IELTS Guarantee program, enrollment based on school starting time. Usually, schools offer IELTS guarantee programs for 12 weeks and they follow a certain schedule for examination. The student is expected to achieve their target score, however, if the student didn’t get the target score, the school will give the student free tuition fee, but the student needs to pay the dormitory and other expenses.

  1. Which is the best school for IELTS?

Answer: There are schools that expert at IELTS programs such as HELP Martin, CNS2, SMEAG, PINES, TALK, CIP, EV, CPILS, and etc. Teachers are highly trained and experienced.

  1. Which school has the most number of foreign teachers?

Answer: In Clark, CIP has the most number of English native-speaking teachers. CIP offer one-on-one and group classes with native-speaking teachers. While in Baguio, TALK has English native-speaking teachers which cater for group classes.